Home.  Now to post off my Word doc:

We’re at Baltimore airport, waiting for our flight.  I have plenty of time to get in some blogging, including the stuff I wrote last night that got blown off by the hotel’s wifi “service”.  If you want to call it that.  Getting disconnected every five minutes is not service, it’s aggravation.

As it is, I am writing this on a Word doc so I can copy-paste it into my blog when I can finally find a server.  The airport’s choices are incompatible—they all seem to want a password.  Which I don’t have.

So—back to Thursday.

Just as a side note—I think it would take a month or more for me to figure out the interstates and highways in this part of the country.  Good grief—they not only have names, but they all have numbers as well!  Thank heavens for GPS Gertie—if not for her, I think we’d still be wandering the roads.  Or in jail for mutual manslaughter.  Oh, wait…I guess that wouldn’t happen, would it…

ANYway…our first stop was Mt. Vernon.  It was already getting rather warm, but fortunately it wasn’t humid.  We walked the grounds, visited Washington’s gravesite, his slaves’ burial grounds, and the various farms and gardens.  Then we finally were able to get in line for the trek through Washington’s house.

We were not allowed to take pictures, but if you have ever been through a colonial-period home, it was pretty much the same.  We took pictures of what we could, including a three-hole privy.  I don’t think I’d be terribly comfortable with that.

Gertie got us to the light-rail so we could get to Arlington Cemetery next.  I had a handful of trail mix on the way, and hoped it would be enough to tide me over til dinner.  Little did I know that dinner would be 6-8 hours later.  I would pay for this error.

There were a lot of stairs and inclined walkways.  Kind of what to be expected, when the site is mostly hill.  We visited the Kennedy gravesites, along with dozens of school groups.  And I’m not exaggerating; ‘tis the season for the yearly DC school group trips.

A note about the kids:  I have hope for the future, if these people are any indication.  They were quiet and showed respect when at these sites; standing there, the only sound was birdsong.  Amazing.

We were amazed by kids several times on this trip.  When we were going into Antietam via the back route a few days ago, we came across a little boy, maybe five years old, riding in his little battery-op car.  He was out there on his own, just a few feet down from his house, probably.  When he saw us, he turned in at a widening in the road and waved us through.  And when we passed him, he smiled and waved at us.  Another time, a boy, about ten, saw us in the hotel hallway and held the elevator for us, even though we were a good ways off yet.  Acts of kindness by the innocent.  Wonderful!  Long may it happen!

Back to the day—Next, we went down to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  Got to see the Changing of the Guard.  And, out in the distance, there was the Washington Monument and the Capitol.

We went into Lee’s house at the top of the hill, which was mostly empty right now due to renovations.  The second floor was closed indefinitely due to earthquake damage.

(Oh dear—the airport is filling up with high school groups.)

Wandered around, saw some other interesting stuff, I’m probably leaving a lot out.  We spent hours there.  The last stop was the US Marines memorial, which I am glad I didn’t miss. 

However, my blood-sugar level was so low at that point due to not eating that I could barely put one foot in front of the other.  It was a total act of will to follow Paul to the memorial, and as he took pictures of the monument, I swayed on my feet and fought the temptation to lie down on the grass and pass out.

Got back to the train, back to the car, and made our way to the hotel, Gertie pulling her electronic hair out trying to get us to follow her directions.  We checked in, which seemed to take an age, and drove out looking for someplace to eat.

Found a little hole-in-the-wall pizza place.  Great pizza, lousy beer.

Then back to the hotel.  End of another busy day.  Mentally prepped myself for the next day, which would be the Smithsonian museums and the rest of the Federal Triangle area.  And I made it very clear to Paul that I could not go over 3 hours without eating something.  And now he has seen why.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s